On the last day of the family holiday, Sergej Enns, born on 06.11.1981 living in Bielefeld, Germany, left the hotel complex Mitsis Grand Hotel on Rhodes at about 7am Greek time. His children collected stones during the holidays and he wanted to bring back the stones to the beach. Sergej was dressed in a red T-shirt of the brand Tommy Hilfiger, blue shorts and black-and-white Nike sports shoes. He did not wear socks. He only had his mobile phone with him, no papers and no money.
Since then, there was no sign of Sergej's life (no turnover on the bank account, no emails, no messages, no calls).
Measures taken by the family and friends to date:
- On 21.08.2016 at 11:10am Greek time Sergej's wife - Inna Enns - traveled back to Hanover Germany to bring the children home. At the reception of our hotel she asked the employee to inform the Greek police. She left Sergej's identity card and some clothes at the reception. The hotel employees did not take the money.
- On 21.08.2016 evening Inna Enns made a missing person's report at the german police in Bielefeld.
- The next day on 22.08.2016 at 5pm Natalie Eisenbraun (Sergej's sister) and Inna Enns traveled back to Rhodes with the next flight.
- On 22.08.2016 in the evening a missing person's report was made at the police in Rhodes.
- In the evening of 23.08.2016, the Greek police informed us that they have located the last signal of Sergej's phone. It was on 22.08.2016 at 7:12pm German time. The location was crossroads athinon Kon / Nou tsaldari on Rhodes with a radius of 3-5 km.
- From the german provider we got the detailed connection information. His last outgoing call was on 20.08.2016 to his parents, whom he has not reached. His last SMS he sent to his father with the content: "We're all good. We'll fly home tomorrow morning."
- The German consulate and the German embassy in Athens were informed. The consulate has successfully activated the Greek media (radio, newspapers, television report).
- The Mayor of Rhodes was contacted. A meeting with his spokesman has been arranged. He has informed the organization "Omnibus alert" and started a search with volunteers.
- From 22.08.2016 on relatives and friends distributed a huge number of leaflets on the island with a photo of Sergej and contact details.
- In the period from 30.08.2016 to 18.09.2016 relatives and friends asked at every hospital, taxi stand and hotel on Rhodes about Sergej. Unfortunately, no useful hints were given. In the city of Rhodes several caves, abandoned houses, the harbor and a lot of places where refugees, drug addicts and homeless stop were searched for Sergej. People in the area were asked and money for information was offered.
- We informed the media in Germany. They published some articles in newspapers and broadcasted radio reports. The TV show "RTL Explosiv" has reported about it in the show. We also started spreading the story on Facebook. We hoped to gain any information from Germans tourists.
- We contacted a German-speaking lawyer on Rhodes, unfortunately he could not help in any way.
- We were able to hire a crew with mantrailing dogs by ourselves. The search was conducted from 23.09.2016 to 26.09.2016. Here, we got support from the Greek police. They escorted us and helped to start the search at the Mitsis Grand Hotel. Unfortunately, the search was unsuccessful. The dogs have lost the track in the Rodini Park.
- From 30.09.2016 to 02.10.2016, one week after we were working with the dogs on Rhodes, Rodini Park was thoroughly searched by us. Nothing was found, no stuff, no corpse.
- From 20.10.2016 to 23.10.2016, 3 persons of us were again on Rhodes to distribute the leaflets with a reward of 5000 Euro. Further refugee lodgings were requested and the supervisors or volunteers were interviewed.
- On 23.10.2016 the entire Rodini Park was searched again by an aid organization (about 20-25 people). Without success.
- From 01.12.2016 to 05.12.2016 all monasteries were interviewed and visited. Homeless aid stations (food issue in the churches) were questioned. All without any positive hints.
- Sergej's mobile phone was found by an Egyptian on Rhodes and resold. The phone could be confiscated by the Greek police. After checking the data on the mobile phone, the phone was handed over to the family.
- On 16.12.2016 and 17.02.2017 the greek live show Φως στο Τούνελ reported about the disappearance of Sergej. The show was broadcasted throughout the Greek territory.